Friday, February 11, 2011

Books I Recommend 2






There are only 2 authors out there who've actually saved my sanity on more than one occasion. One of those authors is Francesca Lia Block. She has written so many amazing characters that it's incredible to think someone has that expansive of an imagination. She has been a staple in Los Angeles literature since the early 90's. Her most beloved character is one miss Weetzie Bat. I'm not exactly sure how to describe her. Umm....you know that really crazy but cool aunt people have? Or the wicked cool grandma that grew up in the 60's? Well, I'm pretty sure that's how I could describe her.

In these first books gathered together, it tells the tale of young, fairytale-like love and loss. When nobody around you really understood what was going on with you. How society would see teenagers who did not fit their mold as outsiders, freaks, weirdos....delinquents. There are 5 stories in this collection:

1. Weetzie Bat
2. Witch Baby
3. Cherokee Bat and the Goat Boys
4. Missing Angel Juan
5. Baby Be-Bop

Each story is as good as the others. The names, the supporting characters, the scene detail. It all kind of makes you float through the book. It pulls you into a world of pink dresses and combat boots. I don't want to say too much because this is a book I want everyone to read by themselves and not have outside influence. For everyone who's ever felt like a freak...I can't emphasize enough how much this book would mean. Actually, Francesca Lia Block has written many of my favorite books. She writes of forbidden love, social excommunication and acceptance from the odd people created in her world.

More books I recommend from  her besides "Dangerous Angels":

1. I Was a Teenage Fairy
2. Violet & Claire
3. Echo
4. Wasteland
5. Necklace of Kisses
6. How to (Un)Cage a Girl




She continues to write some of the most memorable characters in modern-day literature. If the brothers' Grimm were one woman...then it would be her.

here is a link to excerpt of Dangerous Angels:

Google Books: Dangerous Angels

Hopefully it will capture your heart as much as it did mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment